Yukon passed the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy (ATIPP) Act in 1995. Generally speaking, the ATIPP Act provides Yukoners the right to access government held information, with certain limited exceptions. The ATIPP Act also protects personal information that is collected, used and disclosed by various Yukon government departments and corporations.
The purpose of the Act is to provide:
- access to records in the custody or control of Yukon government departments and corporations with certain exceptions;
- the right to request correction of personal information;
- protection of personal information in the custody or under the control of public bodies;
- protection against loss, theft, unauthorized collection, use, disclosure, or disposition of personal information; and
- access to an independent review of decisions made by public bodies about access and privacy.